Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happy 420: Trip Out On These Movies!

I've been thinking and thinking about this ever since I woke up, and I realized that it wouldn't feel right if I didn't do something on my blog for April 20. For those of you who may not be familiar with the American quasi-holiday, here's the scoop: some high school kids back in 1971 supposedly invented the term 420 which referred to the time of day they would all meet to smoke marijuana. Ever since the mid-1970s, the term 420 has been a standard term amongst pot-smokers. Quentin Tarantino made sure to pay homage to cannabis, when he set all of the clocks in the pawn shop to read 4:20 in 1994's "Pulp Fiction." (Seriously, take a good look next time you watch it! It's true!)

There's no denying the delicate connection between marijuana and the movies. (Seriously, who do you think 3D technology was made for?) I'm going to go against the grain here, and instead of doing the standard list of "Best Movies About Marijuana" I'd like to share a list of movies that I've found to be enhanced, in a way, thanks to Mary Jane. NOTE: **This is all in good fun, and this post is not meant to offend anyone.**

Tron: Legacy (2010)
Although the movie was an overall disappointment, the light-cycle races and the disk wars were very, very trippy. I had a really good time in the theater when I saw this in 3D. Visually, it blew my mind!

The Matrix Trilogy
No stoner is complete without the complete saga of Neo! The lobby scene and the freeway chase scene are especially awesome if you've got a super-sweet surround sound system! Turn up the bass!

Sin City
The first time I saw this movie, I didn't really like it. It gave me a bit of a headache. And then - voila! - the second time around I was properly prepared and I friggin' loved it. Get it on Blu-Ray, smoke a bit, and get ready for a bloody good time!

The Big Lebowski
I went to a special screening of this last Saturday at my local indie theater! It was my 3rd time watching it, and to date, my favorite viewing. I was in the right state of mind to appreciate the humor. I finally understand it's importance!

The Fifth Element
For those of you who hated this movie because of Chris Tucker's character, you won't mind it so much after a little puff. The bright colors and Gaultier costumes also make it a fun, spacey adventure!

Time Bandits
What can be better than a cheesy time travel movie? Throw in a funny group of little people, John Cleese, and Michael Palin, and you've got a riot! Being a bit dazed helps you through the ancient special effects of 1981.

Macgruber
If you didn't find it funny the first time around, try it again after you blaze. I think this is one of the funniest movies in recent years, there are so many WTF?! moments it's almost too much.

Pan's Labyrinth
Contrary to popular belief, it's not too difficult for stoners to follow subtitles. If you choose any foreign film to watch on your trip, I highly recommend this one! The whole feel of the movie gets even more intense - and it's just so creative and artistic!

Pineapple Express
Duh. It's the best thing since "Up In Smoke!" There are so many hilarious one-liners throughout the entire movie, that it's guaranteed to make you giddy inside. Trip out the scenes with actor-turned-environmentalist Ed Begley Jr - so hilarious!

Inception
You can hate on me all you want, ok? This movie is perfect as is, however you choose to view it. However, it's *especially* amazing in combination with some sticky green. I'd recommend this method of viewing to anti-Inception folks who "didn't get it." Open your minds!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Glad to see I'm not the only one celebrating 4/20! Personally, my stoner pick of choice is Adam West's Batman TV Show that comes up on the hub from time to time. I've started recording that show specifically for that purposes, there's little better than '60s overacting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...