Saturday, August 7, 2010

Peacocks may not fly, but "The Other Guys" rocks my glock: B+

Will Ferrell's had a good run - and the shit ain't over. I mean, seriously, this man will never run out of steam. He is pure comedy gold. And let's not forget about Mr. Whalberg, who showed everyone his penchant for comedy when he teamed up with Andy Samberg on SNL. I love the guy. Every time I see a peacock [which is almost every day] I will lovingly remember Mark Whalberg and his fairy-dance routine.

The pairing of Will and Mark is certainly a reward to see. I still think of Mark Whalberg as Reese Witherspoon's psychotic boyfriend from "Fear." And if I manage to get that creepy image out of my head, I'm stuck with 'Good Vibrations.' Their back-and-forth exchanges in the cocaine-covered Prius were hilarious.

And Michael Keaton?! Who knew he was so funny? I mean, "Mr. Mom" was adorable and all, but I never thought the man would be able to pull off the creepy-funny combo. It was awesome to see Batman rockin' the shit out of a Bed, Bath, & Beyond apron.

This is definitely one of the funniest buddy movies since...since..."Step Brothers." Oh shit, that was another little nugget from the genius minds of Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. Hmph. While it's never going to trump the classics (such as "Dumb and Dumber" and "Tommy Boy") it certainly has me Googling for quotes that I couldn't quite remember, regarding Dirty Mike's soup kitchen and TLC songs.

I must admit, it's not getting a full 'A' from me because a huge chunk of comedic material was exploited in the trailer (mostly the parts involving Samuel L. Jackson and The Rock). But other than that, it was pretty damn funny. The narration by Ice-T didn't hurt either, it may have actually enhanced the mood a bit.

The bottom line is, this summer has been a total bust for movies. "Inception" and "The Other Guys" are definitely making headway as this summer's best flicks (for very different reasons, obviously). Oh, and make sure you go see this one during the day - sitting in a full theater may sound like fun to some, but there are some really annoying laughs out there.

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised this one seems to be getting such good reviews....
    I'll have to check it out.

    Also, I am was pleased to see Michael Keaton show up in the trailers. Welcome back, Michael! Where has he been for the last ten years, anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...